By Jenn Bruer
2 pounds grass-fed stewing beef
1 large rutabaga
2 cloves of garlic
2 large carrots
7 button mushrooms sliced
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup hot water
3 tbsp of melted butter (or ghee)
2 tbsp of coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
3 bay leaves
1 tsp each of salt & pepper
- In a large greased frying pan, brown the onion, mushrooms, carrots, rutabaga, and stewing beef.
- Once the beef is browned add the wine and let simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Transfer everything to your slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir it up so everything is evenly coated with the liquid.
- Cook for about 6 hours (more is fine too).
- Add more salt and pepper to taste when serving.
- If your slow cooker is on the smaller side, try cutting the ingredients in half.
- This recipe is low carb!
- If you don’t have time to brown the ingredients first, this works FINE with just popping all ingredients in and slow cook on medium/high for 6-8 hours!
- If you like a saucier beef stew add 2 cups of stock (or water) with 1 tbsp coconut flour whisked- do this in your step 3